I just don't see why any Christian would think the Lord would physically and punitively literally toss them into a burning lake to torture them forever.  Why is such brutality needed by God?  I don't see why it makes sense to anyone who believes God is a loving parent.....rather it makes God seem like the ogre Perry mentioned.
Maybe when you move in next door to some of the most debased characters who ever walked this earth, you will know why. The same reason homeowners do not want child molestors, murderers, cannibals to move into the neighborhood. There is also a just punishment to consider. You may take lying lightly, but all sin is breaking of God's law. the punishment for lying is the same as Murder, The DEATH SENTENCE. The only way out is accepting God's pardon thru the sacrifice and payment of the death sentence by Jesus Christ. Without that pardon God is too Holy to even look on your sin and will cast you out of His sight forever into the lake of fire so you can be neighbors with a Motley Crew. In God's presence will only be the Pure Redeemed, washed by the Blood of the Lamb!
No admittence to those without a Wedding Garment!
MT 22 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

David Miller wrote:
DaveH wrote:
> It is one thing to spank your kid and send him to his
> room for the night.  It is another to toss him into a
> boiling cauldron knowing that he will be screaming
> in torment due to physical pain forever.  If any Christian
> wanted to do that to his child.....I would question their
> sanity as a parent AND a Christian.

You are confusing the issue by not identifying the issue at hand.  Spanking a child is a form of discipline.  It is a way that children are trained.  The Torah teaches us that if a child does not respond to such chastening, but rather becomes rebellious and incorrigible, then the parents should take them to the elders to be stoned to death (see Deut. 21).  Maybe God would question your sanity for being unwilling to obey Torah on this matter.
DAVEH:  My comment about any Christian wanting to do that to his child was not referring to spanking, but rather to using excessive punishment for a child's transgression.  When you punish (not that you would ever need to, DavidM!) any of your children, does your punishment reflect the magnitude of the crime (so to speak)?  IOW....If one of your kids disobeys one of your requests to read do something simple, would you then take a baseball bat to them and wail on them to within an inch of their life and continue doing such every day for a year?  Of course not!   Yet many Protestants believe God will do much worse than that.

DaveH wrote:
> Would you be willing to forever physically (and punitively)
> torture him for such an action?

No, but I recognize that the reason I am unwilling is because of my own unrighteousness.
DAVEH:   ???   Are you sure you want to go there, DavidM?  In other words, if you were (more) righteous, you would be more brutal?  This is sounding more like Muslim fanaticism than Christianity.

DaveH wrote:
> Do you think you inflicting physical torturous injury on him
> every second of his eternal existence would be just punishment
> for simply saying no to Jesus?

Yes.
DAVEH:  Thank you for your brutal honesty, DavidM.  At least there is no question where you stand on this matter.   IMHO, the punishment does not fit the crime.  I cannot fathom a loving parent who would be so cruel.

DaveH wrote:
> If Protestants want to belief eternal physical torture
> is the method God uses to dispense his love and
> mercy in the name of justice.....forgive me for being
> unsympathetic to such beliefs.
You confuse the issue again.  God's execution of his wrath and judgment is not a dispensing of love and mercy.  His love and mercy is manifested in what he did in sending his Son Jesus Christ, and again his love and mercy is manifested in how he bestows forgiveness upon those who believe upon him.  At the same time, his judgment remains true and right against those who have rejected his Son Jesus.
DAVEH:  It is my opinion that those who reject the Lord will in turn be rejected by him.   Effectively, that rejection will distance them from the Lord's presence and love.   I just don't see why any Christian would think the Lord would physically and punitively literally toss them into a burning lake to torture them forever.  Why is such brutality needed by God?  I don't see why it makes sense to anyone who believes God is a loving parent.....rather it makes God seem like the ogre Perry mentioned.

Dave Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.langlitz.com