-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Miller
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:01 AM
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Rename: Dresses

Perry wrote:
> Does anyone on on TT know exactly what first
> century "dresses" were and what Paul's objections
> to them were?

Yes, Perry.  There has been quite a bit of discussion about this so you
should not have any trouble researching it.  The Greek word Peter uses is
himation, which is exactly the same meaning as our English word himation.
This is the outer garment worn by both men and women that primarily
functions aesthetically.  In Latin it is the palla for women and pallium for

men.  Search on these words (himation, palla, pallium) and you should be
able to find pictures and lots of information.

It is important to note that modesty was NOT the issue here.  Rather, it was

formal dressing.  In modern terms, it would be equivalent to women adorning
themselves with that evening gown or prom dress along with make-up, jewelry,

braiding hair and putting it up, etc.  The himation was an outer garment
worn over the tunic, so it would be like a man putting on a suit coat over
his shirt.  The suit coat is to enhance his outer appearance.  Remove the
himation completely, and the woman would not be naked or immodestly dressed
anymore than a man would be when he removes his suit jacket.