Raymond:  I respectfully disagree.  The Lord does not hardened hearts; He softens them.

God respectfully disagrees in the HOLY BIBLE
EX 4 I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.
Ex 7:3,13-14; 7:22; 9:12;10:11,20,27;11:10;14:4,8,17; Jos 11:20; Is 63:7
You are confusing a hard heart with God leading into sin which He would never do. The Character of God rules that out. This is one of the differences between the Mormon "god" & the True God of the Bible. The "god" of Mormonism places men in situations where they must choose sin1 or sin2.

God saying He hardened Pharaoh's heart is no contradiction, because He did harden his heart, by taking  away the God Given ability (by Grace) to see or understand the truth.  This was God's judgment upon him, his wicked heart became blinded. God's judgement on Israel is that "their minds were blinded" 2 Co 3:4 God did not make Pharaoh sin. He simply removed his hand of protection so that Pharaohs heart became hard rather than soft. His heart was already blinded, his understanding darkened, as this is mans natural state. Why should God reveal truth to those that do not want truth? The flip side is that, it is God's MERCY that gives a heart of flesh rather than a stony heart.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Pharaoh still had the ability to choose right. Pharaoh chose wrong over right. God did not force that decision. It is not that God made him do anything. God removed his restraining power & Pharoahs wicked heart took over. God merely allowed the hardening to happen. Pharaoh even knew he did wrong but continued further in sin
Exodus 9:27-35 (27)And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the LORD is righteous, and I and my people are wicked.
... (34) And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants. (35)And the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, neither would he let the children of Israel go; as the LORD had spoken by Moses.

God's mercy also restrains the evil in mens hearts
Genesis 20:6 "..Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; For I also withheld thee from sinning against Me: Therefore suffered I thee not to touch her."
Notice God "KNEW" the integrity IN his heart & God in mercy witheld him from sin!

GOD TRIES MENS HEARTS
God hardens hearts in response to what is in that heart. The God of the bible knows all things even can see in your heart. He also knows the future and knew Pharoah would stiffen his neck. He tries mens hearts and rewards them accordingly
"I the Lord search the heart, I try the reigns, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doing."
Pharaoh recieved of the Lord according to his own doing!
Jeremiah 17:23 But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.

JUST REWARD
Pharaoh recieved his just reward
Hebrews 2:1-3 "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation"

GOD WROTE THE LAW IN ALL HEARTS
Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness
James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
Pharaoh went against God & his conscience. If you continue in sin & ignore your conscience  you will end up with a "conscience seared with a hot iron" 1 Timothy 4:2

GOD IS SOVEREIGN
Pharaoh thought that he determined the fate of God's people. God simply determined to show his power to fulfill His purpose: Exodus 7 "But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments."
"And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt."

PHARAOH SINNED
In spite of multiple opportunities & the continual witness of God's men, Pharoah hardened his own heart Exodus 8:15,9:24
Pharaoh admitted he sinned. Exodus 9:27 I have sinned this time
And yet turned right around & sined more: Exodus 9:34 Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants.

THE SOUL THAT SINS IT SHALL DIE
The Egyptians? God avenged the whole lot of them & drowned them in the sea, because they gave not God the glory.
Exodus 14:17 And I, behold, I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them: and I will get me honor upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host, upon his chariots, and upon his horsemen.
EZek 18:14 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

GOD PUTS THE BLAME WHERE IT BELONGS
1Samuel 6:6 "Wherefore then do ye harden your hearts, as the Egyptians Hardened their hearts?
Mark 8:17 And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened?

SOVEREIGN
Romans 9:14-23 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth  mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

HAVE YOU RECIEVED A NEW HEART & NEW SPIRIT YET?
Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Bothoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
David:  Why would such be bad?  Have you not read how the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart?  Don't you think Jesus himself hardened the hearts of the scholars (both Sadducees and Pharisees) of his day?  Was that bad?

Raymond:  I respectfully disagree.  The Lord does not hardened hearts; He softens them.