Jt says 'it (heuristic) has nothing to do with Scripture.' The Incarnation, IMO, is heuristic.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: June 19, 2005 16:57
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Hill Cumorah

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:25:06 -0400 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
jt JD you are disingenious from the start.  While claiming to be a pastor and not a theologian you title this little rant against God's Word 'A heuristic consideration' which is 'theological' - The word isn't even found in a regular dictionary

JD: so the word is poorly chosen because it is not in one of your "regular dictionaries?"   I have a Websters and and a Cambridge dictionary and the word appears in both.  We, all of us who study the biblical message,  are putting scripture together in an effort to make the Message work for us with the least amount of problems.  "Heuristic' has to do with that very process.

jt: Actually I found a larger dictionary with the word in it - still it has nothing to do with understanding scripture.  It is from German heuristisch ie: helping to discover or learn, specif. designating a method of education or of computer programming in which the pupil or machine proceeds along empirical lines using rules of thumb to find solutions or answers.  This has nothing to do with Holy Spirit revelation  and would not be understood by ordinary every day sheep (the ones God calls).

JD: Apparently you are upset that I did not include myself as being a theologian.&n bsp;  Thank you but, alas,  I am a lowly pastor and nothing more.

jt: Has God put you in a position to care for and be an example to part of His flock?  How can you shepherd anyone or be an example to others of how to follow Christ when you are not walking in the light yourself?  You have legalized God's Word and made it into something it was never meant to be while ATST embracing an entirely opportunistic message for yourself.

JD: Honestly,  I have no idea what this last sentence means.

jt: In all of your anthropological considerations have you ever wondered why only 8 persons were saved through the flood the first time and why Jesus brings this up in Matt 24:38,39?  God was so pleased with 99.9% of the world population that he destroyed them all.  You and Lance remind me of the Jews who clung to the fact that they were 'Abraham's seed' and that was going to save them.  You can quote your 'incarnation' doctrine all over the place but if you do not have fruit in your life meet for repentance - you will wind up in the same shape as them.  As for the things written aforetime (which includes all of God's laws, statutes, and commandments); they were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.  You can throw them out if you like.  As for me I believe "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul" and my soul needs converting every day until it is completely conformed to the image of Christ.

JD: And that is fine.   I cannot ignore the comments in Romans 2-5 nor the entire letter to the Galatians on this subject.

jt: The entire letter to the Galatians has to do with Jewish legalism and Romans 2 is not teaching that the
unregenerate have God's Law written on their hearts JD. We have been over this before.  Everyone in the whole world is not immediately born again because Jesus was born in a flesh body, died, and rose from the dead historically.

My comments below constitute a substantive consideration that would best be rebutted with equally substantive comments.    Emotionalism and judgmentalism  are not appropriate responses to argumentation.   Such is the reasoning of a lynch mob  --  not a student in a discussion forum.  I will be glad to consider any biblical or philosophical argument you may wish to share.   JD