jt: I don't agree with Bill that there is no natural man in christians;

Judy, I did not understand you to be speaking of "the old flesh nature," but rather "the natural man," i.e., one who does not have the Holy Spirit's indwelling -- in other words a non-Christian. If you are using these terms synonymously, then I misunderstood your communication. And, yes, I believe that Christians still have an "old flesh nature" with which to contend.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Jesus of the Bible

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 07:11:14 -0400 "Lance Muir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Bill speaks here of a believer's obedience. IFF Judy's understanding is the same then, David, you'd better jump in once again (cover Judy's back, as it were) for she has just said that the 'natural man' still exists within you. Therefore, your teaching on 'perfection' is quite literally impossible.

jt: He knows that he still has an old flesh nature that he could walk after if he wanted to Lance.  Being spiritually minded and walking
after the Spirit is a daily choice.  One that you apparently have not so far apprehended as a reality in your own life.

Apparently Judy has been unable to ascertain the presence of Bill's relationship with God through Christ ('born again) even 'til now. David, are you under the same misapprehension? I ask as you had so utterly and thoroughly missread John (see you on John the last couple of days)

jt: I don't agree with Bill that there is no natural man in christians; yes we are given a change of heart and the Holy Spirit indwells us
but the old flesh nature is still there warring against the Spirit and many a christian falls back into what we should be leaving behind like a dog returning to it's vomit or a pig wallowing in the mire..

Might you need a 'break' from teaching for a bit, David? You DO see the responsibility therein David, do you not? Yes? No?

jt: I'm sure he takes his personal responsibility seriously Lance and I wonder why you get such a perverse joy from needling him
constantly.  You would have to say that Christine is a credit to him wouldn't you?  .. so why not encourage him in the Lord.  jt

Bill in blue below
The difference I see between obedience from our perspective and that of yours, is thus not one of action nearly so much as it is one of motive. And I happen to believe that in our way of thinking, one comes much closer to a proper motivation for obedience than does one from yours. It is not fear of hell that moves us, or simply because "we're supposed to do it" that we obey -- and it is certainly not because we must do what Christ cannot. In fact, woe for even suggesting so!

jt: Why the woe?  ... I would say Bill that you mischaracterize my position every bit as much as you claim that I mischaracterize yours although you will need to show me how I do this.

Did you not write these words: "Jesus did His part ... but we have our part in this also, He can't take care of our part"? How is my statement of dissagreement with you that "it is certainly not because we must do what Christ cannot," a mischaracterzation of your position? Perhaps, Judy, you do not stop to consider how your words might sound.

Obedience is the natural fruit of our relationship with our Father. When we come to really know him, we come to see that he loves us more than we love ourselves, and that he wants only what's best for us, and that he longs for our fulfillment with a greater passion than our own." Hence in participation with our Lord, we begin to see that obedience is not only right and loving, it is the only thing that makes good sense.  Bill

jt: Sorry Bill but obedience is not natural to the natural man <SNIP>

Are you completely unaware of the context of this discussion, Judy? This statement is written in that context, in regards to Christians and the motive for obedience on the part of Christians. In other words, there's no "natural man" in this discussion. The "natural man" doesn't even pursue a relationship with "the Father." I wrote, "'Obedience is the natural fruit of our relationship with our Father.' ... Hence in participation with our Lord, we begin to see that obedience is not only right and loving, it is the only thing that makes good sense." So why this talk about the "natural man"?

Do you believe that you must be born again Bill?  I've never seen you discuss this.  jt

Yes. And perhaps some day we can discuss what we think this means.

Bill