Good Morning David, you write:
Judy wrote: Yes Bill you are the hypocrite on this one and you need to repent.

DM: I haven't been following the posts the last few days, but I read this one
this morning.  Judy, please refrain from ad hominem arguments like this.
Such only reveals your frustration in being able to communicate and your
inability to make your case Biblically.

jt: I don't like it either David but there is some background here that you are
not aware of that I will address offline.

I would like to frame what I think Bill's position is in regards to
Augustine and you.  Bill is not saying that you have read Augustine.  He is
saying that you have been influenced by Augustine and have adopted some of
his viewpoints without realizing it.  How?  Because you live in this world
and have grown up around ministers and school systems that have been touched
by him in one way or another.

jt: Then he is saying the same as what Lance would harp on constantly which is
that noone can know what they think they know (if it conflicts with his doctrine) which
contradicts scripture itself because it is written "The spiritual man judges ALL things
yet he himself is rightly judged by noone" (1 Cor 2:15)

Let me illustrate this with a non-Biblical terms.  If I were to say to you,
"Benedict" or "Benedict Arnold," what would form in your mind?  Negative
thoughts?  Why?  What do you know about this name?  Who taught it to you?

jt: I don't know much of anything about Benedict Arnold, in fact I just had to ask my
husband who he was.  Guy Fawkes would mean more to me since I was raised in the
British system and we would have a bonfire on Guy Fawkes day.

Now perhaps you can go to some class in grade school where you learned about
a traitor, but even many non-educated people have a concept of this name
without formal training.  I myself do not know where I adopted the negative
thoughts that I have about the name "Benedict," but I am sure that it came
through the school system and society along the way.  Ultimately, in our
generation, there are some historians responsible for developing the kind of
view that we have about this name.  We may never have read this historian
ourselves, but through teachers or the news media or some other secondary
source, we adopted a concept concerning it.  In other parts of the world
that do not share our history, the name "Benedict" has a very positive
connotation.  Why?  Different historians shaped the culture.

The point is that Augustine has so influenced our culture and society, that
many of his viewpoints become ours through secondary sources.  You may never
have read him or even heard of him, but there are many ways in which his
views could have come down to you.  Maybe you just heard a minister explain
Genesis and use the term, "spiritual death" along with some Augustinian
viewpoints.  Perhaps he himself did not even read Augustine directly, but
heard the view from someone else.  It may be that at the time, the concept
resonated with you and made sense.  It may also be that at the time you were
not really paying much attention, but later as you were reading your Bible
privately, these ideas came to mind, having first been planted in your mind
sometime before.  The third concept is, of course, that the Holy Spirit
revealed the truth to you just like he perhaps did to Augustine.

jt: Are you kidding?  At the church I grew up in we heard nothing like that and
I personally did not begin to study to show myself approved to God until after
I was "born again"

>From my perspective, the question of whether or not Augustine is ultimately
responsible for your viewpoint is not really all that important.  It could
be that Augustine was right, and that you, independently, saw the same thing
and came upon the same language to explain it.

jt: What other way is there to explain what took place in the garden David?
Adam did not die physically for 960 more years so unless God lied or changed
his mind as JD claims and did not follow through - then Adam died but not
physically.

What is important to me is
whether the concept is right.  Is this concept of "spiritual death" the best
way of understanding the truth of what is being discussed.  For example, did
Adam die spiritually that day, is that the best way to understand his death,
or did he actually die physically that same day, not in the sense that he
immediately dropped dead (we know that did not happen), but in the sense
that he was delivered to death, which began working upon him, such that the
aging process began and he became subject to disease, sickness, and death
from that very point in time.

jt: Well yes, that is the way it works.  Both Adam and the creation were cursed
at the same time and the curse is always implemented by the powers of
darkness who only work death and destruction.  They never bless.  Actually
biology responds to psychology and psychology responds to spirituality.

It could be that if somebody had stabbed his
heart with a knife prior to his sin, he would not have died, but if stabbed
after he had sinned, he would have dropped dead right there on the spot. In
other words, he became mortal immediately on that very day that he sinned.

jt: Prior to Adams sin noone would have wanted to stab anyone's heart
Murder was not a reality until after the fall and neither was mortality.

Now if on the other hand Adam died "spiritually" and if people are born
spiritually dead and if his spiritual death is passed on through
inheritance, there are many implications that such a model would have than
if such were not true.  Let's take just the situation of inheritance.  I understand
physical inhertiance pretty well, I think, having taught classes on genetics
at the university.  What I do not understand is spiritual inheritance, or whether
spiritual inheritance even exists in the sense of being passed on from
parent to offspring.

jt: It's right there in God's Law. The curse follows from four to ten generations
to those that hate Him and blessing to the thousandth generation to those
who love Him and walk in His ways.  That is, if we believe God means what
He says and says what He means.

I need to go look up some scriptures so will continue this later.........