Dean wrote:
> Another man of one book J.Wesley ...

John Wesley was not a man of "one book."  He read other books constantly,
just as Paul did.  What is meant by your quotes is that in the context of
that particular ministry to the people being talked about, the preaching
focused upon Jesus Christ and nothing else.

David Miller wrote:
>> I do not believe in a pre-existent "creation."  I simply
>> believe that the earth is very old, primarily for Biblical
>> reasons.  From my perspective, the Scriptures seem
>> to assert an ancient foundation for the earth.

cd:
> I would like to see this scripture?

Such a teaching can get rather involved, and it does involve some personal
revelation, but following are a few passages.

Psa 102:25 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the
heavens are the work of thy hands.
Eze 26:20 When I shall bring thee down with them that descend into the pit,
with the people of old time, and shall set thee in the low parts of the
earth, in places desolate of old, with them that go down to the pit, that
thou be not inhabited; and I shall set glory in the land of the living;
2Pe 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the
heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the
water:
Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare,
if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath
stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the
corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God
shouted for joy?

cd:
> In my view that would mean that the older
> salt water would have to disappear somewhere
> in very large volumes?

No, you are assuming that the old earth was basically in the same shape and
form that it is now, with oceans of saltwater and continents.  Genesis 1:2
says that the earth was "without form and void, and darkness was upon the
face of the deep."  The subsequent account specifies the separation of land
from water, which I believe took place much later than the actual creation
of the earth itself.  In other words, between Genesis 1:1 & 1:2 was a great
amount of time.