I believe that a covenant sign is
one reason that Jesus was himself baptized by John.

DAVEH:  With who do you think was Jesus making a covenant?

baptism has
other purposes as well,

DAVEH:  With Jesus' baptism, was the reason not the primary reason to fulfill righteousness?

David Miller wrote:
DaveH wrote:

Do you view circumcision in a similar light
as baptism...it being a covenant?

Yes, I view it in a similar light, but I would not use the words you used,
"it being a covenant."  Circumcision is a sign of the convenant, actually
used for more than one covenant in history (both Abrahamic and Sinaitic
covenants for example), and baptism also serves this purpose, as a sign of a
covenant with God through Jesus Christ.  I believe that a covenant sign is
one reason that Jesus was himself baptized by John.  However, baptism has
other purposes as well, and one is to provide a means of establishing faith
in Jesus Christ.  It is a vehicle for expressing faith, the same way that an
automobile is a method of allowing gasoline or diesel to propel cars.

Dave Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.langlitz.com
If you wish to receive