On 20-Jul-2012, at 1:54 AM, Cédric Krier <cedric.kr...@b2ck.com> wrote:

> On 19/07/12 22:03 +0200, Sergi Almacellas Abellana wrote:
>> Why we don't add tryton.org (or the tryton foundation) in Package
>> Index Owner and Package Index Maintainer to denote an official
>> module? The rest of the modules will have it's own maintainer
>> denoting that it isn't an official module.
>>
>> It makes sense to me. What do you think?
>
> Because it doesn't prevent name collision.

Name collision seems to be the primary problem we are trying to solve. I agree
with the issue and we are ready to move our modules to a *new* naming scheme
too, and may be most of us in this community will too, but that doesn't really
solve the problem because anybody could still create packages on pypi under the
tryton namespace ? And if it is his *intention* to do it, we might have little
or no influence over it either.

My preferred solution to the problem would be hosting our own pypi which serves
the official modules and perhaps the community ones too. The package index
could perhaps be regulated by a 'packaging sig', which could arbitrate on name
clashes and disputes.

I have never made a separate installation of pypi myself, but I think there are
already projects which have done this.

Thanks

Sharoon Thomas