Hi Sharoon,

> On Jul 4, 2014, at 10:47 PM, Sharoon Thomas <sharoon.tho...@openlabs.co.in>
> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 5, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Dale Scott <d...@dalescott.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I've been attaching documents (e.g. datasheets, specifications, work
>> instructions, gerber files, schematics...) to all the product I have
>> imported. In the process, I found an attachment to a product is not the same
>> as an attachment to a product variant.
>>
>> Can someone explain the basic concept of products and product variants?
>> Should I be attaching documents to the product, or to product variants? What
>> is the difference? How to the user cases differ? Fwiw, I find the product
>> variant grid convenient because it includes the product code for each
>> product in the kanban view.
>
> Explanation by a live example:
>
> **Variation on one attribute**
>
> Varying Attribute: Platform
> http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Advanced-Warfare-Xbox-One/dp/B00K308KF4
> Here the product is: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
> And the variants are: for PS3, Xbox, PC, PS4 etc
>
> **Variation on Two attributes**
>
> Varying attributes: Size, Color
> http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Haan-Lunargrand-Saddle-Oxford/dp/B00HB1PDTE
> Here the product is: Cole Haan Men's Lunargrand Saddle Oxford
> And the variants are: 12 sizes X 2 Colors = 24 variants

Makes sense. It seems creating a new product also creates one variant for that
product. In this case (only one variant), does it matter if you purchase or
sell, or otherwise manage, the product - or the variation?   In other words,
are the product and the only variation synonymous for some purposes?

> As for your question about attachments:
>
> It depends on the nature of the products and variants.
> For example if you were to use iPhone as a product and the three sizes of
> 16GB, 32Gb and 64 GB
> as variants, then the specifications would be different for each variant
> while the user guide would
> the same since all of the user instructions for the series is same.
> Similarly, the images may vary by
> the iPhone color, but not by the size. So this depends if those documents you
> attach change by
> variant or change by product (template).

Got it. There are no variations in my current system (that I am migrating *to*
Tryton), I guess I was thinking of this in the context of only one and only one
variation.

Thanks!