* Sergi Almacellas Abellana: " Re: [tryton] How to translate" (Wed, 30 Mar 2016
  21:37:11 +0200):

Thanks, Sergi, for your initiative.

I will post some minor issues to the review when it is clear, if it will be
merged, otherwise it is wasted time.

> El 30/03/16 a les 19:05, Cédric Krier ha escrit:
> > On 2016-03-30 18:36, Sergi Almacellas Abellana wrote:
> >> El 30/03/16 a les 17:58, Cédric Krier ha escrit:

> >> That's what i explain in the page. How to translate with pootle.
> >>
> >> I picked the notes (about pootle) from the old wiki and improved it a
> >> little bit.
> >
> > Indeed I don't think we need any kind of pages. We have a link to the
> > pootle server in community page. And people can contact us from Pootle
> > to request the language creation.
>
> But it's not clear that Pootle means translations. I think we should
> clarify the translation process, so newcomers can easly contribute on
> translations.

It is a common wide spread error, that newcomers will provide just about good
translations. In my experience those attempts often just put an additional
burden on the language maintainer to correct/explain the errors.

That doesn't change the fact, that I appreciate your effort to make things more
clear.

> > About the time frame, I think it is no more accurate, we switched to
> > Pootle to allow among others to have continuous translation.
>
> So maybe we should remove this paragraph and mention the translation
> process on the first steps of the contribute page.

While of course it is possible to translate continously, finally a consistent
translation and all checks make most, if not only sense in the string freeze.
So of course the time frames are quite important.

> > Also I found that until now (when we still have the wiki) nobody
> > followed the procedure and they just asked somewhere on ML or IRC etc.
> > So I think it is too much to have a procedure for something that happens
> > very rarely.
>
> I just write it down to have some reference as somebody asked it on the
> spanish mailing list, so when asking on the mailing list we can easly
> answer with a link to the how to translate (or contribute page).

When users are asking on IRC or mailing lists this could also be, because they
didn't find intuitively the information.

--

    Mathias Behrle
    MBSolutions

    Tel: +49(761)471023
    Fax: +49(761)4770816
    http://www.m9s.biz
    UStIdNr: DE 142009020
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6