Most of my friends use AIM and some use MSN Messenger. When I went to Spain
this summer, everyone seemed to be using MSN Messenger, the one exception
being a gal from France who used AIM.

So really, whatever you think about the protocols, you don't get much choice.
Its what your friends use. And outside of Yahoo! which often breaks Gaim,
they're all the sames. You do get a choice of IM software, I use Gaim since
it seems to be the best. It routinely ranks as one of the most active
SourceForge projects (probably due to their internationalization efforts, but
they do put out new releases pretty frequently). And its easy to use
encryption. Occasionally I run into problems with file transfers and with all
the updates for Gaim, for some reason my nickname aliases sometimes disappear
or my prefences will change. Its written in GTK, so its pretty ugly.

I think it would be cool to have a on-campus Jabber server. In the past
external Internet goes down, and IM with it, which is silly since most of the
people I want to IM live on campus anyways. I started playing around with
Jabberd (and couldn't get it work), but I now see there is Jabberd 2 out,
might as well just try that instead.

--
Ian Monroe
http://www.monroe.nu