Christoph Zwerschke schrieb:
> Christopher Arndt schrieb:
>> - Should the Genshi Buffet plugin determine the doctype from the
>> template format? Should this be reported as a bug to the Genshi project?
>
> I think Genshi should never send a doctype that is incompatible with the
> format (doctype=HTML and format=XHTML or vice versa), that should really
> be fixed in Genshi. But this will not solve the problem completely,
> because you may want to use compatible, but nevertheless different
> doctype variants for your pages.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. You might want to choose between strict
and transitional, for example.

> Btw, this is not a problem when you're using Kid, since Kid
> automatically chooses the right doctype. Also, if you want a different
> doctype, Kid provides subvariants of format (e.g. "html-quirks" instead
> of "html") or custom serializer instances that can have any doctype in
> the format parameter, so this also works just fine with Kid.

Yeah, thats why the problem only arises now when we are trying to get
Genshi support properly done for all corner cases.

>> - Is there any way to pass additional options to a Buffet engine after
>> it has been instantiated, or do we need to change the Buffet API to
>> allow this?
>
> As far as I can see, there are no provisions for passing additional
> parameters at render time in Buffet, and passing such parameters would
> break existing implementations. I.e. we would need to make adaptions to
> Genshi, TurboKid, TurboCheetah, TurboJson, etc.

Is anybody using the Buffet API except TurboGears 1.x nowadays anyway?
Except for Genshi, all of the above mentioned Buffet plugins are under
our control, so we could change them easily. We can also make our own
Genshi Buffet plugin, if we need to.

Chris