On Mar 12, 2007, at 5:11 AM, Simon Nash wrote:

I think this is a direction worth exploring.  As Jim says, we need to
develop these thoughts in more detail to understand the benefits of
making these changes.
Just to be sure, I didn't say it was worth exploring. I'm just trying to understand what is being proposed as it is not clear at all.

A useful way of doing this would be to look
at some use cases and see how the current design handles these, and
what would be different with a restructured/modularized/componentized
kernel.

My advice would be to take the approach of focusing on how your proposals benefit the community and, in particular, the areas people are currently working on. I think you will get less traction if you propose a set of "external requirements".

I think it's also useful to prototype some of these ideas to put
more substance around the proposal.  The prototyping could be done in
the "integration" branch (I wasn't quite sure if Sebastien was
proposing this), or in some other place.

I've added a few comments inline below.

  Simon