Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> The big problems I saw were:
>
> 1. high mouse pressure
> 2. mouse rotation instead of sideways movement
> 3. accidental mouse rotation

I've seen this problem, but have observed that kids *do*
very quickly learn to use the mouse properly.

Making changes (inconsistent with other programs) to the way
programs work to make them 'easier for kids to use' will
mostly only be counter-productive.

For example, I really don't like that right-clicking works the
same as left-clicking in Tux Paint. This may lead kids to get
used to right-clicking, and get very frustrated when right-
clicking doesn't work that way in other programs (or games). Then
they'll have to unlearn to right-click and learn to left-click.
This 'feature' is really doing kids a disservice.

BTW, I've seen this problem (concerning Tux Paint) in real life,
so it's a very real issue, not just some hypothesis.

> As a less-expensive alternative, a trackball might
> work OK.

Unfortunately not. Trackballs are generally much to large for
kids' hands. Most mice are too (though there do exist computer
mice for kids, sometimes used in schools).

(Personally, I've been using trackballs for years, and wouldn't
dream of going back to using a mouse!)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer