On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:58 AM, JW wrote:

>> CBS had the doubleheader this week.  It wasn't "bonus coverage"
>> when CBS switched everyone from Pats-Titans to Jets-Bills.
>
> Maybe we're disagreeing on the definition of "bonus coverage"; I'm
> using it to mean a game that the network switches to after the
> original game is over (with James Brown saying "And now here's bonus
> coverage of the Jets and Bills"). For whatever reason, CBS stayed with
> the Pats-Titans game all the way to the end, then switched to New York
> and Buffalo.

True "bonus coverage" is when, following the conclusion of a game, the
network switches its audience to another game although they may be
required to cut off the game for that audience at some point (usually
at 4:15) for contractual reasons -- which happens when that network is
the singleheader network that week.  Hence the specific use of the
word "bonus."  Sometimes they'll switch to a postgame show instead.

As far as I know, because the network won't have to cut off the game
for anyone, it doesn't count as "bonus coverage" when what began as
the second game of a doubleheader concludes and that audience is taken
to a different second game which is still under way.  I don't remember
having heard the phrase "bonus coverage" used in that situation in the
past -- however, I have to admit that it's been a while since I've
actually seen such a switch take place.  I've had Sunday Ticket on
DirecTV for a few years now, so I've usually made the switch before
the network gets around to doing it.

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>