Tom Wolper, to Steve Timko:

> Non-competes are typically for six months or a year. What's-his-face
>> had two years. Someone can be locked into a contract for three to five
>> years if there is no key man clause.
>>

> So a person takes a job in TV news. Her contract includes a non-compete
> clause so that she can't be lured away to work immediately for a
> competitor. If she resigns or gets laid off she has to wait out the
> non-compete term or go to another market. If there is a key man clause,
> does the non-compete clause stay in force? If it turns out that the key man
> does something criminal and gets fired, is our employee stuck working at
> her station in order not to trigger a non-compete situation?

Sorry to throw the candidate into this, but I think key man trumps
non-compete.  We'll know soon, when puzzled fans write to their favorite
crix wondering where the departed Fox-ers are.

Still, the NY Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/technology/to-compete-better-states-are-trying-to-curb-noncompete-pacts.html?_r=0>

(link) a couple months ago noted how states are starting to step in to
outlaw non-competes... Calif. squashed 'em quite a while ago, but the piece
had no clues from its home state...