When quoting something written, some manner of clarification—usually “[sic]”—is
required, for the reasons Doug noted. The other option would be to put the
correct word in brackets: “…the words of others cannot [affect] the value….”
It’s not a judgment; it’s more about the re-publisher’s integrity. Letting it
slide indicates loose technical standards, which invites second-guessing of
reporting, fact-checking, and general professional competence. For any media
outlet worth its salt, the trade-off of potential perceived dickishness is
absolutely worth maintaining reader/viewer trust.

A reporter transcribing a recorded spoken statement actually has some leeway if
the recording is not otherwise available to the public. The reporter/writer can
edit obvious grammatical errors or even factual errors when it is beyond
question that the source simply misspoke. For example, “I remember when Bobby
Kennedy got shot back in June of ’63,” can be changed to “…June of ’68,”
without brackets, if based on other statements, the speaker momentarily
confused the years of the two Kennedy assassinations. Such practice is routine
for Q&A’s online or in print and is typically accompanied by a disclaimer that
the content was “lightly edited" for length and clarity.