> On Oct 15, 2016, at 6:37 AM, Melissa P <takingupspace...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I was in graduate school just about the time advertising barriers
> were coming down.  A lot a people don't remember, but years ago, advertising
> goods and services such as eyeglasses, lawyers, prescription drugs, and even
> funerals wasn't permitted.

One thing I've been thinking about while watching the baseball playoffs is the
fact that there used to be no TV advertising for hard liquor -- not due to FTC
or other national government regulations, but because the
manufacturers/distributors had agreed to it through their industry association.
That voluntary ban ended 20 years ago:

(The broadcast networks still don't accept hard liquor ads -- although some of
their affiliates do -- but the baseball playoffs, being on cable up until the
World Series, are rife with liquor commercials, mostly bourbon.)

Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>