It has to depend on whether the station feels they have to (like if they
promised an underwriter that they would get a plug on every break), but I
believe WBEZ in Chicago has never used the break, partially because they're
on automation on Saturdays at 5 p.m. and the automation can't leave the
network on in the background, which is about the only way doing the
Powdermilk break would work.  I can't imagine rolling a promo that's two
seconds longer than what the screen says it is (that's label on the cart in
the old days of radio before the AudioVault) and then potting back up on
"...tried 'em, Powdermilk!", followed by, hopefully with the mike turned
off, the board-op/announcer saying "oh shit."  If it's stuff they have to
run like underwriting announcements or it's a pledge drive, I would
understand, but if it was an announcer just doing a "coming up tonight here
on public radio..." reading of the schedule for the rest of the night, I'd
be pissed.  I'd be curious how many stations that run "PHC" do take
advantage of the hidden station break.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotligh...@gmail.com