After catching up with the episodes, here's my overall assessment:

Instead of the series being about alternate histories or about how time
travel impacts the present (or the future), time travel itself barely
matters. The episodes remind me of episodes within the Stargate franchise
where the team encounters time travel or alternate realities... you know by
episode's end that the characters will be back to home-base. The key
difference being I cared about the characters of the Stargate franchise,
and thus the stories were compelling.

As for their own self-imposed rules of not being able to travel to any
point where "you" already exist, they traveled to the Nixon era in the most
recent episode. Now the good guys might not be in the 40s, but Matt Frewer
(though not featured in that episode) is on the bad guy's time machine...
surely he lived through the 1970s. Shouldn't the whole universe be folding
in on itself by now?