Ultimately what caused Katie Couric's downfall (and what seems to be
happening with Megyn Kelly) is she tried to be the servant of two masters.
You can succeed at fluffy breakfast-chat interviews OR you can succeed at
hard news... it is nearly impossible to do both (Barbara Walters might be
the only longstanding exception, although I suppose one could include Oprah
if you absolutely must, but I wouldn't). If Kelly is including the fluff
for the same reason Edward R Murrow included his celebrity interviews... to
be given the freedom to pursue hard news stories... then more power to her.
But Murrow did what he did to take down McCarthy and HUAC... does anybody
believe Kelly has such an agenda, or the ability to follow through with it?