wow.   had no idea he was still alive, and I even forgot about him.

In Sudbury Ontario (4 hrs north of Toronto, 4 hrs east of Sault Ste Marie,
MI) there is an annual Christmas telethon on TV on a Saturday night in Nov
or December.    When I was 10, it had already been on forever (in years).
Apparently it started in 1951.   http://www.ctvlionstelethon.ca/default.aspx
  and history here
http://www.ctvlionstelethon.ca/TelethonHistory/TelethonHistory.aspx

<http://www.ctvlionstelethon.ca/TelethonHistory/TelethonHistory.aspx>

Anyway, back to my story..... every year it was a local gathering of kids
that dance, sing, and adults that try to do the same thing.  Local TV
personalities are the hosts, along with other city or club dignitaries.
One year, circa 1977 Marty Allen (I'm 95% sure it was him) was the featured
Guest Host that year.     I've got no idea what they paid him to get him to
our neck of the woods, or if his presence increased pledges.    But I do
recall hearing my Dad say "look at that.  Jerry Lewis gets all the stars
and we get a washed-up Marty Allen".