Yeah, Jim’s recollection matches mine.

Random feed trivia: If you watch the Al Pacino movie “The Insider,” the
final scene that is supposed to take place in a CBS control room in Black
Rock was actually filmed at what was called Skypath at NBC Burbank. Back
then, all NBC feeds were routed through Skypath, which meant the system
started in NY, bounced to LA, then bounced back to the relevant time zone
(the redundancy/inefficiency made sense to somebody). Even back in the 90s
when I was a page, Skypath was fully automated (or at least remotely
operated). There were a few hot buttons in the control rooms of a few of
the Nightly News studios that could be pressed to go live, bypassing
Skypath. I know of a handful of instances when those buttons were pressed
accidentally; hilarity ensued.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:27 AM Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
wrote:

> > On Feb 13, 2018, at 5:30 AM, daniel anderson <
> danielanderson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Besides regional football, the morning news shows, which are taped
> outside of the eastern time zone, but what if there is a special report? Do
> they interrupted all feeds at once?
>
> From my days working in live closed-captioning 20 years ago:  the
> broadcast networks basically have three feeds for on-air programming
> (Eastern/Central, Mountain, and Pacific), and special reports would run on
> all feeds. When affiliates are not taking network programming, they're
> supposed to always be monitoring the appropriate network feed for their
> time zone, although much of the time, the network is able to give them a
> heads-up for a special report a few minutes in advance. (NBC paid the
> company I worked for to have a live closed-captioner on standby, monitoring
> the Eastern feed, from 6 A.M. to midnight daily.)
>
> Sometimes when a special report interrupts a show, the networks will
> re-feed it later, for the benefit of affiliates who might have been
> recording it to broadcast later. (Such as Alaska, Hawaii, and Arizona for
> much of the year.)

Kevin M. (RPCV)