I guess ESPN has experience of this because sport is the one area where
it's necessary, and the wealth of rights that they own mean that they've
regularly got more sport than they can show., I know NBC Sport has the
English Premier League, including the 5-6 Saturday 3pm GMT (10am EST)
games, and I thought that you could choose which game to watch. But perhaps
that's only via an app.

I've noticed that the first time a network has something really popular
that people want to stream, the stream goes down, or the quality is not
very good. There are apologies etc. Then someone else buys another property
and they get the same thing. ESPN bought the former MLB streaming tech
subsidiary BAMTech just because they were doing a good job. Streaming at
scale is hard, but it'll get better.

I admit that I just can't see another post-2032 NBC-type deal happening
unless it makes some kind of sense for a broadcaster like NBC to take a
loss. For better or worse, I can see sports more and more retailing their
own content direct to consumer and offering streams in place of broadcast
channels. That won't be right for all sports, but at some point the
declining audiences plus increasing rights costs equation just won't make
sense. I'm not sure that the tech companies will be the ones to step in
either.

Recently the domestic English Premier League rights for the three seasons
2019-2022 were auctioned off, and the rights fees went down (2 packages are
still in play, but there's no way they'll make up the shortfall). The EPL
really hoped an Amazon or Facebook would move in to bid. Facebook did look
at the Indian Premier League cricket rights and made a $500m offer which
was outbid by Murdoch's Star TV in Asia. And Amazon has bought ATP tennis
rights in the UK from next season, as well as US Open rights for this
season. But there are big issues with what it really gives the tech
companies that they don't have already. Plus they really want global rights
and for most sports it has hitherto made better sense selling them on a
territory by territory basis.

Whatever the future platforms, this is how I would expect to navigate, say,
the 2024 Olympics on my TV. I'd see a main network feed, and on a button
press, would get an overlayed graphic showing me another set of options. Do
I want to watch judo, athletics, archery, mountain biking, or whatever. I
just navigate graphically around the screen with little picture in picture
video previews showing me what was happening. I don't expect to have to
channel surf to CNBC to watch the diving or whatever...

Adam