The TIFU means "today I f'd  up"

TIFU by posting a pic to reddit and destroying my career

Obligatory "this happened several months ago."

For the past 20 years, basically right out of college, I worked in closed
captioning and subtitling. This involves transcribing television programs
and movies and timing the transcription to sync to the video. It's a lot of
typing and even more watching a bizarrely varied amount of TV and film.

I worked for several companies around the country. What started as a "just
for now" job grew into a career, I became production director in a few
organizations, and I became one of the fastest captioners in the country.
When my company in New York City shut down, I found myself in possession of
a very expensive piece of captioning software and a fair amount of clients,
so I began working freelance.

The clients began to dwindle as more and more work started going overseas,
but I was working steadily based on one Huge Client that had robust
Netflix, HBO, and Hulu contracts, and the rates they paid were ridiculously
large. If you ever watched Chicago PD or Ray Donovan with the subtitles
turned on, that was me.

For the first time in my life, I was able to put money away for retirement,
travel to Europe, go out to eat without checking my balance, never worry
about the bank account running dry, all while working maybe 4 hours a day
out of my bedroom walk-in closet. It was a magnificent few years.

One day, I am captioning a Disney Channel cartoon that I had never seen
before, and in one scene, a child is hanging his doodles in an art gallery.
One of the doodles is of Trogdor the Burninator of Homestar Runner fame.
"He lives on!" I think, and then, being a hopeless reddit addict, I post a
screenshot to the Homestar sub and forget all about it.

Fast forward three months when I get an email from Huge Client
investigating a "very serious matter" in which a screenshot of a cartoon
had been posted to reddit. Turns out, the cartoon had never aired before.
Turns out, Disney was pissed. Turns out, the list of suspects that had
access to the video was very short.

I took immediate responsibility and profusely apologized, but the damage
had been done. I had boneheadedly violated every nondisclosure and employee
contract I'd signed with them by posting that single screenshot, and they
terminated all future dealings with me, voided the $6,000 in invoices I had
outstanding, and stated in very polite terms that I was lucky Disney wasn't
suing my pasty white ass.

After the fallout settled, I had no steady income. A few commercials and
YouTube broadcasts that needed subtitles, but nothing reliable, and NYC
rent drains bank accounts quickly. I reached out to every other captioning
outfit in the country, but no luck. So, that left me at 40 with a
staggeringly narrow and largely obsolete skill set forced to start over
from square one. I am currently working for the Postal Service doing
blue-collar work in 90-degree heat and mourning the days when watching TV
in my jammies till 3 PM was my job.

All gone because of a reddit post of a forgettable cartoon that only got a
measly 150 updoots.

TLDR: I violated the terms of an absurdly kushy job by posting to reddit,
and now I deliver packages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/97a8in/tifu_by_posting_a_pic_to_reddit_and_destroying_my/