Back when I was an NBC Page, Howie Mandel had his clone of Rosie
O’Donnell’s daytime talk show. I got along really well with nearly
everybody on the crew, the writers in particular. One day, while seating
the audience, I couldn’t help but notice it was not the usual “paid hobos”
as That Scottish Conan Guy used to refer to them. For reasons I could not
understand, the entire Portland Trailblazers Dancers crew was there to
attend a taping... a couple dozen NBA cheerleaders... and me. Upon learning
this, word came down from the writer’s room: If I could get the
cheerleaders into their room after the show, I’d be guaranteed a job.

Granted, Howie’s show was not the best representation of the talents of
anyone involved; Howie wasn’t allowed to be Howie, and the writers weren’t
really allowed to produce any material that wasn’t in the style of what
Rosie would do (keep in mind she dominated daytime at that point). Guests
were rarely A-List. Along the way Howie did manage to find his own local
characters to regularly appear (think Mujibur and Sirajul), including an
elderly lady named Francis who ran what she called a “cake museum.”
Nevertheless, a job was a job (one was only allowed to be an NBC Page for a
year). I worked my magic (my magic involved a lot of pathetic begging) and
filled the writer’s room with cheerleaders.

This was an absolute lock for me. Howie liked me. The writer’s liked me.
The talent department liked me. The announcer (aka the voice of The Brain)
liked me. I’d even appeared on camera on the show a couple times. What
could possibly go wrong?

Enter Jeff Kopp.

Kopp was the executive in charge of production for the studio that financed
the show. He was the money. He also, it turned out, had no sense of humor
and had no business being around the world of comedy. I see — looking at
his IMDB page — that he is now over at James Corden’s show. Can’t say I’m
surprised.

A day or two after my hook up with the lovely ladies of the NBA, I was
stationed in the hallway between studio 1 (where Howie taped) and studio 3
(where Jay Leno taped... and yes, they still used tape back then). My job
was basically to check names off a guest list for the Tonight Show.
Couldn’t be simpler. What could possibly go wrong?

Enter Jeff Kopp.

Kopp emerged from studio 1 and apropos of nothing, asked me who Jay’s
guests were that night. I don’t recall who specifically, but it was a night
of big named celebrities. Kopp nodded as I told him... and then it
happened... I opened my big, fat, gaping hole of a mouth. Couldn’t resist
it. Couldn’t help myself. Immediately after I’d told him whatever
supermodel or action film star was on, I added, “... but I’m sure that’s
only because Francis the cake lady was unavailable.”

“You’re a smart-mouthed little shit,” I was rightly told by Mr. Kopp.

I was not hired on Howie’s show. I don’t know if it was possible to be
fired when I was never actually hired, but however you want to define it,
one stupid comment by me derailed my career. I would go on to derail six or
seven different careers... and I ain’t done yet.

I am sorry for your circumstances and hope they change for the better. I
spend my working days in the warehouse of a hot print shop making labels
mostly for manufacturers of sex lube. Workers of the world unite!