I think the show did a wonderful job of improving public perceptions of
scientists and engineers, especially after Melissa and Mayim were added to the
cast.

As someone who worked among scientists and engineers for almost 30 years, I
think the writers did an about perfect job of portraying them in a sitcom
format.

What won me over?  At the beginning of the series when Sheldon put down Howard
for being only an engineer and only having a Master's degree.

Sent from my iPad