As I wrote, some things are a matter of opinion. I think the term
“politically correct” is imprecise and loaded and unhelpful, but people do
vary in their sensitivity to offense, and some are so sensitive they cause
a burden for others. This is not that.

Blackface is objectively racist. The racism is not imputed by the observer,
it does not depend on the act of perception. Al Jolson singing Mammy is a
racist image. People do not impute offense to it; it is, in itself,
offensive. Now context and relationship can make offensive acts tools of
resistance, or excusable ignorance. But nothing changes the inherent racism.

If a really old German said something like: “Boy it’s hard to keep up with
what is and is not OK. When I was a kid back in the early 1930s we used
Swastikas to decorate kid’s birthday parties, and now it is politicallly
incorrect to just fly a Swastika flag in your front yard” everyone would,
appropriately, call bullshit on that. What Kelly said is exactly like that.
I am sure lots of people remember when they could dress in blackface
without condemnation, or use the word nigger in polite conversation. The
appropriate observation about that is not “gee, people have become so
sensitive these days” but more like “gee, I guess we were really fucking
racist in those days.”

Sent from Gmail Mobile