I have no objection to revisionism like that; I loved McNamara's "The
Favorite," one of my favorite plays of recent years is Lucas Hnath's "A
Doll's House, Part 2," and Shakespeare is nothing if not taking old stories
and repurposing them for contemporary audiences. There was just something
about the British smugness of this one that hit all the wrong notes for me.

What was especially puzzling was, since Catherine is an outsider anyway,
why make her speak in that British accent? Let her be German via America.
It worked for Armando Iannucci in "The Death of Stalin" (another
revisionist take that I enjoyed, by the way).

--Dave Sikula