On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:34 PM 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV <
tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> There's a possible angle to this issue that didn't come up in the
> article.  Collusion.
> I know that the contestants are kept separated from the host, but how
> about from each other?
> A recent episode of a podcast I listen to had a guest who'd been on Wheel
> of Fortune.  She mentioned that a lot of the prep before taping was on ways
> to cheat.  The contestant wranglers specifically mentioned making sure
> people didn't agree to play a certain way and split the winnings later.
> Since, according to the article, the J! tiebreaker was prompted in part by
> 2 ties on shows taped the same day, I wouldn't be surprised if someone
> thought of the possibility.  I really wouldn't be surprised if it was a
> lawyer who thought about it.

If the producers assume collusion is happening, without a real accusation
including evidence against real contestants, then the solution is to keep
contestants apart, not change the rules of the game. I think the tiebreaker
is a deterrent to making wagers in Final Jeopardy that result in a tie.
Going into FJ where the game is competitive first place bets double second
place's amount plus one dollar. But (without a tiebreaker) there's no
incentive to add that extra dollar. First place banks winnings and comes
back. The tiebreaker keeps this from happening.