> *The NFL’s success at convincing such a large fraction of the population
> that Super Bowl commercials are so much more entertaining than regular
> commercials that they justify watching the game for non fans still ranks
in
> my book as the number one marketing achievement if the modern age.

I think the advertising industry gets credit for that, not the NFL. As
someone once said about the Super Bowl, "It's like we have a deal with the
advertisers. They'll try to make entertaining commercials, and we'll
watch." (And, yes, some of those commercials succeed more than others.) As
long as they're spending $7 million for 30 seconds, they can afford to
throw a few extra bucks at the production, and even the promotion: I'm
already starting to see commercials previewing Super Bowl commercials.