>>> I find the idea of running throwaway environments to generate a big blob of
>>> tarball'd python+libs, then copying said tarball to actual containers, a
>>> rather retrograde step by comparison with established package/build
>>> infrastructure tools.
>>
>> I have to disagree here:  I don’t want build tools of any kind in my final
>> containers therefore I build my artifacts separately no matter what
>> language.  Of course you can just build the venv on your build server
>> without wheeling up a temporary container and then package it using Docker
>> or DEB or whatever.  You should be separating building and running anyway so
>> Python – as much as I’d like Go-style single binaries too – is in no way
>> special here.  The nice thing about temporary containers though is that I
>> can do all of that on my Mac.
>
> It's worth pointing out that if you don't want a Go build toolchain in your
> container, you have exactly the same problem.

I thought I pointed that out in my very first sentence. :D

What I don't quite understand is how people can be in love with Go’s static
linking but complaining about Virtualenvs in deployments.   Unwieldy as
virtualenvs are: *for Python code* they are exactly that: statically linked
build artifacts.  The principles are very similar, the execution is arguably
better for Go.