On 23/02/17 10:27, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

What I don't quite understand is how people can be in love with Go’s
static linking but complaining about Virtualenvs in deployments.
Unwieldy as virtualenvs are: *for Python code* they are exactly that:
statically linked build artifacts.  The principles are very similar,
the execution is arguably better for Go.

Well, for one thing, Python virtualenv are problematic w.r.t. being relocatable. That alone makes them harder to use than a Go binary.

But honestly I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'm not complaining about virtualenv. We use them quite successfully.

I'm trying to point out that *some* might find the system Python attractive because they can use OS-supplied python packages in lieu of the effort of setting up a binary build infrastructure.

But I'm clearly not getting my point across, so I'm going to stop now.