Have you guys considered maybe tweaking the basic auth system to
something like what friendfeed has.

Each user could be given a third party system generated key to use
instead of a password and then basic auth could still be used and not
tired to the system password.

If the user felt their account had been compromised by an app they
could just generate a new code and also this would protect the users
account from hijacking.

I know you don't want to have 2 different systems for auth but this
could be used for legacy apps and for use cases like funkatron
mentioned earlier in the thread.

Cheers