I was just thinking this, and then I read your post.  It would be good
to see a "trusted apps" section somewhere on your site, and those
application could use Basic Auth.  If they don't want to go through
the process of being a trusted app, then they can use OAuth.

Just something to think about.  Could earn twitter some $$$ too.

-Joel