The Streaming API /follow resource does not create new followings.
Instead, it filters the stream of all public statuses created by a
list of users. Perhaps the nomenclature is confusing.

You probably observed a time period when the given small list of users
did not update their status. The newlines are keep-alive probes.

-John Kalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.