Yes, you can stay constantly connected to the Streaming API. Connect
to the Streaming API just once, and stay connected until there's some
sort of hiccup, then reconnect. (But don't connect many times per
second, throttle back on error.)

Spritzer isn't useful for monitoring keywords. Look into the Twitter
Search API for this purpose.

John Kalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.