The problem is that by everyone getting their own consumer keys, the source
parameter will be different for every person. Now, I'm not interested in
getting my name in lights in the Twitter world -- I could honestly care
less. That said, if I'm going to spend a significant portion of my time
creating an open source app for people to enjoy, I'd like for people to
actually know that they can use it, and the source parameter is by far the
easiest way to accomplish that.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 09:10, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:

> No one's snarking, but again, interesting you would interpret it that way.
>
> Open source all you want, each person deploying an instance will have
> to get their own keys. What's so tough about that?
>

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM, DWRoelands<duane.roela...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Andrew,
> >
> > This isn't about credit in the source parameter.  It's about
> > application security.
> >
> > Twitter has stated that Basic Auth will eventually be deprecated.
> > OAuth will eventually be the only method of authentication available.
> > When that happens, developers of open source clients will be forced to
> > reveal their Consumer Key Secret.
> >
> > This is a very real problem; open-source developers of desktop clients
> > will have to reveal their Consumer Key Secret.
> >
> > Can we keep this discussion focused on the technical issues at hand,
> > rather than snarking about one another's motives?  It's not
> > productive.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Duane
> >

> > On Jul 1, 10:57 am, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:
> >> Not what I said in the least, but it's interesting that you should
> >> interpret it that way.
> >>
> >> Re-read what I said.
> >>
> >> If someone is open sourcing something, in the true spirit of open
> >> source, they shouldn't care about getting credit in the source
> >> parameter.
> >>
> >> Thanks you and good night, I'm here all week, try the veal, don't
> >> forget to tip your waitresses and angry developers.

> http://www.cameronkaiser.com/--
> ckai...@floodgap.com

Internets. Serious business.