Matt,

Thanks for weighing in and hopefully taming this snarl. As the person who might have posed the question originally, I figured I at least owed a bit of constructive critique.

What can we change about OAuth that would make this better?

1) User experience - it's been echoed a number of times in this board, so i won't beat the dead horse... much... but basic auth *is* much simpler for the user. The reason is obvious: oauth requires a browser. In many platforms (especially mobile) that's a painful burden.

The PIN code seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room. It solves some problems, but at a further cost to the user experience, giving an even larger advantage to existing basic-auth apps. You've made the pill even more effective, but so bitter that your patients can't swallow it.

Providing a scheme that does not require a browser is an obvious way to cut this gordian knot.

2) Application authentication - if your goal is to *identify* each open source application in a *trusted* way, then I think you could be in for an uphill battle. There are obvious technical challenges, however the larger problem is that in OSS there is no way to define "each application." There will be many binaries for different platforms and people will fork it on github just because they can. You cannot identify each of these variants as the same when they could be different.

And that places a burden on the user experience. When a user grants access to "application x" -- what does that mean exactly? Just that binary? Just this release? Only from a specific trusted company? How do you explain to the user where this subtle line is drawn in a box he'll click through in less than a second?

I personally don't see an obvious solution to this problem. It seems to be a UI challenge and a technical challenge. In cases like that it seems prudent to question your goals and check feasibility.

Isaiah

YourHead Software
supp...@yourhead.com
http://www.yourhead.com