You may want to check what thumbshots is doing with the URL http://google.com/ . It's definitely not taking a screenshot of the correct site …

--
Chris Thomson

On 15-Jul-09, at 7:06 PM, Kevin Mesiab wrote:

That's a valid concern that we share in our retweet.com application. We dereference all shortened urls before indexing tweets.

In anticipation, rt.nu supplies the API call /api/stats/[short]/ original to grab the original url for archiving or displaying to end users.

Dale:

All links are dereferenced by rt.nu to be qualified before shortening. Currently in beta, we've set the qualifications a bit tight and urls that redirect using some schemes will be rejected, and some bad http status headers will also cause rejection. This will be cleaned up a bit before full public deployment. At present, all urls use rt.nu as the root domain and are typically between 7 and 10 characters.

Screenshots are gathered via http://www.thumbshots.com/ which works like this:

1.) If the full url exists in the cache its image is returned, then the url is queued for a new shot.

2.) If the full url does not exist in the cache as a screenshot, the root domain is looked up. If the root domain is in the cache, that shot is returned and the full url is queued for a new shot.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM, owkaye <owk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to let you guys know about a free service
> we're prototyping for shortening URL's that overcomes a
> few of the limitations of other shorteners.

Only one problems with all these URL shorteners, when the
companies creating them disappear all their shortened URLs
become orphans and therefore useless.

Not a major problem on Twitter because of the typical
transience of data, but when you run a company like mine
that needs to reference historic data it will definitely
create future problems when these companies fail.

Just something for folks to consider ...

Owkaye

--
Kevin Mesiab
CEO, Mesiab Labs L.L.C.