The difference between authenticate and authorize is that if the user is
already logged into Twitter and previously approved your application when
hitting the authenticate URL they will bounce directly back to your
application without seeing the allow prompt or any page from Twitter. With
authorize they will always see the allow prompt.

As for privileges. Those are controlled with the access (read) and
access/update (read/write) that set your application for or pass to Twitter
when getting request tokens. They act the same no matter which method you
use.

Abraham

--
Abraham Williams | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org