Abraham, thanks for a quick reply...

I see what you are saying...

Here is my follow up question - if my user have been previously
authenticated, and I now have the access token and secret, why would I
use the "authenticate" call vs. just using the "view credentials"
call?  In other words, by using "view credentials" I am just making
sure that the access token is still valid, and I am effectively
accomplishing the same thing.

All in all, I agree with Chris - ideally, access and authentication
should be very distinct.  Twitter Oauth is still a step in the right
direction vs. basic HTTP auth, but would be nice to have a strictly
authentication-based call that wouldn't require user to grant the
consumer any kind of access to personal data.

It would be nice to have someone from the team to weigh in here to
understand their rationale for this kind of implementation of
authentication - is it an issue of resource constraints or is it
something else?

Cheers