David,

I don't know Ruby, so I don't know if this is possible.

But, if possible you need to edit your copy of the Twitter API wrapper
and set the user agent to something that is unique to your service.

If you use the same user agent as everyone else who are using that
wrapper, then you are going to suffer if they do naughty things.

Dewald