I think the UK Telegraph (?) article yesterday put it perfectly... the
problem is two-fold: Twitter itself is pretty insecure (unfixed
javascript hacks, etc), and third-party apps are even LESS secure (non-
encrypted db storage of Twitter authentication on mysql injectable
hosts, etc etc).

My general feeling is that Twitter is going to throw baby out with the
bathwater in a desperate attempt to shore up its security.  This no
doubt will mean that the good apps along with the lousy apps will be
thrown to the curb (i.e., blacklisted, or whatever).

For those of us relying on Twitter app development as something more
than just a hobby, or as something more than a chance to speak
"computer language", we should really foster a sense of self-
regulation that DISCOURAGES the average non-programmer from using
Twitter's API.

Programming secure, effective, and useful Twitter apps IS VERY HARD.
If you don't have expensive programming and db experience, STAY AWAY!
This app's NOT for you!