On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM, PJB<pjbmancun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the UK Telegraph (?) article yesterday put it perfectly... the
> problem is two-fold: Twitter itself is pretty insecure (unfixed
> javascript hacks, etc), and third-party apps are even LESS secure (non-
> encrypted db storage of Twitter authentication on mysql injectable
> hosts, etc etc).
>
> My general feeling is that Twitter is going to throw baby out with the
> bathwater in a desperate attempt to shore up its security.  This no
> doubt will mean that the good apps along with the lousy apps will be
> thrown to the curb (i.e., blacklisted, or whatever).
>
> For those of us relying on Twitter app development as something more
> than just a hobby, or as something more than a chance to speak
> "computer language", we should really foster a sense of self-
> regulation that DISCOURAGES the average non-programmer from using
> Twitter's API.
>
> Programming secure, effective, and useful Twitter apps IS VERY HARD.
> If you don't have expensive programming and db experience, STAY AWAY!
> This app's NOT for you!

PJB,

Unfortunately, this is the inevitable scenario in any technology. At
first it's the innovators, enthusiasts and true hackers. Then it's the
still-savvy early adopters. Once you go mainstream, or even _start_ to
go mainstream, you're going to get the uneducated/unlearned types who
expect the world on a silver platter, for free. Plz send me teh codez!

There's nothing you, I or probably anyone can do to change that. It's
human nature. We can simply try our best to ignore the idiots, help
those with potential and a willingness to help themselves, and
otherwise simply focus on making our own work the best it can be.

This is a lesson I've tried to learn, and failed, many times over,
over the years ...

∞ Andy Badera
∞ +1 518-641-1280
∞ This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
∞ Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=(andrew+badera)+OR+(andy+badera)