Call me crazy, but I store any data from a 3rd party in strings.
Typically, I used a text blob to store some serialized object (like
json or a python pickle) which maximizes flexibility. For the tweet
id, I think I used 64 chars.

In about 10 years, after I've cleared all the other higher priority
and more impactful optimizations, I might think about dealing with
this again.

Ivan
http://kirigin.com