User objects used to support <following> but it was known to be unreliable
so it has been deprecated. See announcement:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/42ba883b9f8e3c6e?tvc=2

If you don't wan't to make 2 API calls just try sending the DM and if it
fails then you know there is no friendship there.

Abraham

--
Abraham Williams | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org
Hacker | http://abrah.am | http://twitter.com/abraham