Hello again,
I'm sorry for posting a follow up so soon, but I spent another few
hours trying to debug this again last night, and still without
success.  It seems to be encoding the characters properly (%65E5%672C
%72AC in this case), and so I assume it is generating the signature
properly. After all, it works perfectly fine with English characters.
So any guidance would be much appreciated, I'm running out of things
to check.

Thank you again in advance.