Thank you all for the feedback.

My main motivation for posting this thread was to gather some loose
ideas. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, posting a link costs
nothing but saved a lot of mine time.

"strict formed data" - 140 chars, #tag, @username, RT etc. - that's
why there are so many sites presenting graphs, charts, trends,
tendencies etc.

"first pick was vaguely to analyse the semantic meaning of tweets" -
like take a tag, take all the words with tweets with this tag and on
that base find tweets that might me related to the topic. Or finding
and measuring tags that are in tweets with aforementioned one.

I should keep in mind that my task is to present a satisfactory
dissertation, not cure for cancer. And probably by the time I finish
my work someone else will ship similar software independently.
Nevertheless by creating it I will learn a lot of stuff about Twitter
itself not to mention improving programming skills.